First : My opinion is for a slightly different configuration of tm2t. I put the processor, the Core 2 Duo SU9600 (1.60GHz, 800MHz FSB) w/512MB ATI Mobility Radeon (TM) HD 4550 graphics and 500GB hard drive. I have had for a week and the short of it: I love it. I am 4.5 / 5 stars if Amazon would let me. I rounded to 4 stars because there are some things that prevent nitpicky perfect.

Secondly, I like tablets. My previous laptop was a Toshiba R15, but it was a bit old and the battery was dying, so it was time to look around for another. So why not wait until the abundance of slate tablets this year, as HP IPAD or slate? Well, I like handwritten notes, drawings and sketches, yet the type for a variety of projects I use the laptop. I love Microsoft OneNote (one of the few programs really right), and I’m not sure how it would go well (or not as IPAD) on the slate, and I do not spirit of navigation a stylus (sometimes I even prefer). Generally, if I really need to be able to type (a lot) for work and home. Yes, you can access the list of platforms that allows you to type, but seems awkward in this day and I always liked convertibles so the keyboard is always with you, and frankly, I spend more time in the fashion notebook and tablet mode, but I can still run as a slate. So, the choice of a tablet has a lot to do with how you plan to use.
Advantages :
- First (and only as far as I can tell) tablet with an option for discrete graphics. I’ve been waiting for this for years.
- Lightweight and easily transportable
- Switchable Graphics saves batteries, battery life is good
- Large touchscreen
- The sound is great for such a small device
- The HP TouchSmart
Disadvantages :
- Operation occasional poor touch screen touchpad /
- No physical lock to hold screen in tablet mode, the screen can be difficult to intervene to restore the laptop
- Rotate the screen is the manual
Graphics : One of the main selling points for me was the option for discrete graphics. As a user tablet before, I had to watch while all other users of laptop computers in their games, while I could not. Now, finally, my laptop can do everything I want. I am capable of playing EverQuest 2, which is a very demanding application graphics (I do not have enough on my Toshiba and I am sure that the standard GMA 4500 graphics accelerator would probably do the same thing). Yes, the body toward the center and perhaps a bit jerky running on time (I average around 15 fps, and if this seems, remember EQ2 requires a lot more World of Warcraft, I am sure that WoW would be ~ 30 fps), but it is running, and I can easily play. Other games worked perfectly, with built-clear images. If you want high-end games on a shelf, is the one you want. If you just want a pure gaming notebook, but there are certainly better there. Another advantage: the design switches between states of low energy and high, depending on whether the laptop is plugged in. This is mainly for things like Everquest you will have to be connected, but it allows you to save battery savings when the battery (you can keep the high mode if you want, though). I have not seen the ad but I thought it was a neat little feature, and I noticed no significant decrease in the quality of graphics in low power mode (although EQ2 dropped to around 5 -8 fps).
[Update 3 : EverQuest is better than the average 25 fps now, even in the 40s. I think the initial figures were low because of a new expansion pack, and most of the players. even better news for the graphics capabilities of the tablet.]
Construction: The body is beautiful, the whole tablet is lightweight without feeling cheap, and it is easily transportable. My old Toshiba is a beast compared to it. I think the touchpad is wider than other shoes I’ve seen, even if it sometimes acts up (see below). It’s amazing how much they cram into a small space. There are many ports (I wonder if all the tiles have to come), including USB, VGA and HDMI.
Monitor : It was really worried. My old Toshiba has a 14.1 “screen, and I watched a number of screens of similar size before ordering, but I was afraid it would be too small for everyday use. The good news: we do is not. Yes, it is certainly a small screen compared to many other phones, but it feels bigger than it is certainly better than a 10 “netbook, and the colors are crisp and clear, and I can be one of the programs (like OneNote) or games very well without squinting. It is smooth with a feeling of glass, which is fun to use touch screen and I love to write more than my Toshiba, but it tends to over-think.
Sound : Altec Lansing provided is impressive for how small they are. Yes, you are not serious, but the music and sounds are crisp and clear, not at all metallic.
Autonomy : This looks good if not great, but not just any laptop unlike others out there. I’m sure if you just quit and do nothing can be announced nine hours-plus. Regular use seems to be around 4-5 hours, but I really did not have to face any challenge, such as running a DVD movie from an external hard drive. I’ll see if I can return to this point. Be sure to carry in tablet mode and surf or watch streaming video, I have no complaints.
Tablet : Speaking of that, I really think the HP TouchSmart software that accompanies it. It essentially allows you to use it as a slate tablets come with icons to display local or streaming video (like Hulu and Netflix), view photos, surf the web, etc. I do not know if HP provide apps (which is considered part of a big deal with IPAD and others), but it’s great for things you already do. A few complaints here, though. When you return to the screen and put it in tablet mode, it is not like my Toshiba had up on the screen. This is not a problem, but a locking mechanism that would have been nice. Even when you return to the screen to save as a laptop, you need them to release the two halves. There was a slight recess to get your fingers under the screen easier. There is also a button that lets you switch the screen orientation. On my old Toshiba, you could set it to automatically turn on when the tablet mode, then when the notebook mode. If it is an option here, I have not found, but it always comes back when you switch phones, then maybe I can not find how it (the manual says just to run through the button setting).
Touchpad / Touchscreen : My last complaint has to do with the agility of both the touchpad and touch screen. I can not say if the problem is hardware or software based, but I have been remarkable, but I would not call it a show-stopper by any means. I think the touchpad is larger than the other blocks I’ve seen, but it does not always do what I say. Sometimes, the hop pointer on the screen while I’m just sliding my finger, while other times it does not seem to respond to a second or two. Other times, it zooms in or out on his own appearance. It is a multi-touchpad, so maybe that’s part of it and I need to learn how it works better, but I do not think it is always. In addition, the touchscreen does not always respond. For example, watching a Netflix movie, you could pause button, but there was a delay before the film would break, when I was depressed, did not recognize the first edition and I was still affected. I tried a little harder or longer to print, but that does not seem to make a difference. I find myself pressing the button, even to make it work. Again, this could be me getting used to a touch screen, but I’m not so sure. They are both useful, but a bit boring and frustrating at times, and touchscreen can be a problem if you just want a tablet.
Summation: All the complaints I have, if I consider minor. 4.5 / 5 Stars. It is a convertible tablet great for those who seek. No other shelves today can match the specifications (particularly with discrete graphics) for the price. Dell and Lenovo tablets (…) were generally more for their top models to start, and you can use HP Instant coupons and sales to save you a lot of their quoted price (…), which is by far the best deal for a tablet now.
Update 1: After playing with the settings of touchpad and make it less sensitive, it works much better. However, from time to time jumps around, but I get that from any touchpad I’ve ever used, so it’s probably just me. I also think that the screen has a sleep “, ie in the absence of contact after a few seconds it takes 2-3 hits to answer, but as long as you keep touching it works very well (I guess that is the case it will not become wandering on something you do not want).
Update 2: Is this for two weeks. Overall performance is great (even if you want a number of software pre-installed by HP to remove) and the use of batteries is good enough. I was able to get one hour 2 10 minutes of film and only used 50% of the battery (my old Toshiba would barely make up two hours with the screen dimmed). In fact, I was given batteries and ran into a sleep mode to preserve. I went back to normal mode and could not even really tell a difference (maybe the screen is brighter, but it was not night and day), although the reflection of the screen a bit annoying by moments. I really like the feel of glass on the screen, especially writing and drawing on it, however, it is a compromise I can live with.
It would be nice if a physical volume control in tablet mode, but this is not a big deal. If you can not say, have not integrated into the DVD player, so I have bought an external. This was not a big problem for me since I rarely use more disks (and certainly preferable to the weight savings allows for portability), but something to keep in mind when you need it.
Finally, to continue to play with the touchscreen, it is a piece of that, I think we have five good stars. The “sleep” function gets annoying when you constantly have to keep hitting the following ‘if you do not hit the screen about 10-15 seconds. As long as you stay within this window of 10-15 seconds, it works perfectly, but it’s not really what you want in a touchscreen. If the settings are for, I could not find them, and I also emailed about HP (no response yet ). I like the touch screen input device or more secondary (eg, in consultation with the stylus, which works pretty well), but if you want something simple as a touch pad, I can not recommend (to Unless HP comes with a fix for the “sleep mode”).
So while I think the physical design could use a bit of DIY (volume control, screen rotation and implementation, the lock screen, press / trackpad operation), but these are really just convenience and preference. The overall performance, functionality and feel that it is a great tablet convertible. I stand by my original 4.5 / 5 stars, especially if you look at the other tablets out there for the price.